Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Congressman Kind on new School Lunch Standards

Below is the note from the Congressman:

Congressman Ron Kind Wisconsin's Third Congressional District

Dear Friend,

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to send you a quick update on the school lunch requirements that were included in the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

Studies show nutrition directly relates to academic achievement. That is why I supported the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 which was signed into law on December 13, 2010. The 2012-2013 school year is the first year that the new school lunch standards have been implemented. The standards seek to ensure students are offered both fruits and vegetables every day of the week, as well as low-fat milk options, and more whole grain foods. There is also a greater focus on reducing the amounts of saturated fat, trans fats and sodium to help our kids get the fuel they need to feed a healthy mind and body.

I understand there are concerns with the new standards and what they mean for individual school districts and students. I have heard from students, parents, and food service professionals about the difficulties of providing enough food for active and growing children. I know we can work together to make sure that our children are being fed adequately while also ensuring they are healthy and active.

Please do not hesitate to be in touch with comments or questions. I also encourage you to visit my website, where you can find updated information, sign up to receive my electronic newsletter, and send me e-mail.

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment