Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Health Note on Motivation

From: Carissa S. Wiersma at Mayo Clinic Health System

All too often, we allow others to be in the driver's seat when it comes to managing our own health….. my doctor is in charge; my genes are in charge; the experts and their prescriptions are in charge (e.g. nutrition, weight, fitness, meditation); my wife makes the health decisions; my job is in charge -- you get the picture. Someone or something else is in the driver's seat. We accept being in the passenger seat. Even worse, we may even sit in the back seat when it comes to taking good care of our mental and physical health.

Act as though you are in the driver's seat. Be the boss who solicits advice from the experts, then experiments, reflects, adjusts and experiments again to arrive ultimately at the best choice for you: "I want to walk three days a week because I can fit it in (the five days recommended by my trainer is too much). I'm more relaxed and that helps me be more present and productive at work and home. I don't want to miss the benefits of my walks and I have backup strategies in place." Getting into the driver's seat and figuring out what works for us as unique individuals, such that it becomes part of who we are and becomes non-negotiable, is the only way to drive when it comes to our personal health.

No comments:

Post a Comment